xperienced Chatters Don't Do These Things.....
- Scrolling (a rapid entry of lines, with or without text)
- Offensive, racist, harassing behavior including personal attacks (flames) and/or threats.
- In most general chatrooms, this type of behavior will result in your
being removed from the chat, for a short time or indefinitely
- Some services will remove your membership privileges entirely.
- If severe enough, such activity can result in police involvement.
- Typing in all CAPITAL LETTERS. This is considered "yelling" and rude.
- Chat in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is difficult to read, and makes the screen scroll too fast.
- There is no quicker way to announce that you're a NEWBIE CHATTER than to use all capital letters!
- Occasional use of capital letters is acceptable as emphasis of certain
words (you can also put *astericks* around the word to show emphasis)
- Polling is asking people to respond to a question with a series of numbers or letters.
- Especially in large chats, this can be very disruptive when people type (and often scroll) the nonsense in reply.
- Just start a conversation with a topic, or ask people to "whisper" or "message" you.
- Not respecting the rules of the chatroom. If it's a G rated room, keep it clean. If it's a chatroom with a specific topic (i.e. "Windows2000"), stay with the topic.
- Rudeness. Play nice, and remember that one of the chatters may be your
next door neighbor!
- Whining that no one will "talk" to you.
- If you are interesting and join in the conversation, you will be included.
- The same concept applies to complaints that the room or the chatters are "boring".
- Posing as another chatter. Duplication of common nicknames occur.. but the
deliberate act of being an imposter is considered... well... almost a violation of privacy. Don't do it.
- Chatting "under the influence". Please chat "straight and sober". YOU
may think you're doing just fine - but trust me, you're not. Just as it is in real life, you're probably not nearly as clever or able to hide it well in chat as you think :-)
- Advertising your product, website, or service.